Clarksville Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are on the rise in Clarksville and throughout the rest of Tennessee, as well. Every day, more people are becoming injured on the roads in the state, and the aftermath of a crash is very confusing. In the worst situations, people do not survive the accident and this can lead to additional frustration and anger. If you have been hurt in a car accident, or if you have lost a loved one, our Clarksville car accident lawyer can help you claim compensation to offset the financial burden of the crash.
Determining Liability After a Crash
To file a claim for damages after a car accident, you must prove that another party was negligent, or careless, and that their actions or inaction caused the crash. Liability can lie with a number of parties after an accident. The most common of these are as follows:
- Negligent drivers: It is most common for one of the drivers involved in the accident to also be at fault for the crash. Speeding, distracted driving, drunk driving, and running red lights or stop signs are just a few of the negligent behaviors drivers engage in.
- Car manufacturers: Manufacturers are responsible for ensuring their products are safe for consumers to use, and this extends to vehicles and vehicle parts. When an important auto part, such as brakes or tires are defective, it can cause a very serious accident.
- Poor road conditions: When roads are not designed or maintained properly, they can cause a crash. Improper road signs, or a lack of road signs, can also cause an accident.
Determining which party was at fault for an accident is not easy. For example, it may seem as though a driver was negligent, but if part of their vehicle was defective, the manufacturer is to blame. A Clarksville car accident lawyer can help you determine who was at fault so you can hold them liable for paying full damages.
Types of Compensation You Can Recover
Many different factors will determine what types of compensation you can recover after a car accident. The most common of these include:
- Medical expenses: It is important to include in your claim not only the current medical expenses you have incurred, but also any future expenses you will pay, as well.
- Lost income: You can claim income you have lost if you could not return to work, as well as bonuses and benefits you lost while you were not working. If you cannot return to the same line of work, you can also claim a loss of future earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: The physical pain and emotional suffering you endure due to the accident is a loss and you deserve compensation for it.
In some cases, punitive damages are also available. Punitive damages are meant to punish defendants for grossly negligent behavior, but they are not always awarded.
Call Our Car Accident Lawyer in Clarksville Today
If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a crash, our Clarksville car accident lawyer at Mitch Grissim & Associates can provide the sound legal advice you need. Call us today at 615-255-9999 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation.